Richard King designed the logo used for the National Bravery Awards. His design was selected by an expert Committee after an open competition had been held in 1945.
He was born in Castlebar, Co Mayo on 7th July 1907. His family located to Dublin in 1926 and he became a student at the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art, planning to study architecture. However, Austin Molloy, a tutor at the college, felt his artistic talent lay in a different direction and introduced him to Harry Clarke, a significant Irish stained glass artist. Mr. King joined Clarke’s studio in 1928 and upon Mr Clarke’s death in 1931, Mr King became its chief designer, and later manager. In 1940 he set up his own studio in Dalkey.
There are many examples of Mr. King’s stained glass found in Ireland, though he also features in the United Kingdom, Australia and the United States of America.
His artistic talents were not confined to the genre of stained glass. Between 1933 and 1949 Mr. King provided designs for 12 stamps, including a hurling one in 1934 to mark the Golden Jubilee of the GAA. He also was the leading illustrator for the Capunchin Annual and exhibited paintings in Dublin and Cork.